Sunday, June 27, 2010

Newspaper Clippings

Since living in Florida I've often wondered if the sun makes people insane.

I don't have much of a cohesive thought behind this, but I've recently been reading the local newspaper's website.  For lack of any better commentary, I'll simply quote the thoughts of those from my community.

The paper reports a story regarding raccoons becoming acclimated to humans and behaving aggressively.  Apparently they are being fed, either directly or indirectly by the people who feed the local feral cats, and as state law prevents the raccoons from being relocated, they will be trapped and chemically euthanized.  Among the 45 comments to the story are these gems:

Momekit writes:  "Did you know that Racoons also carry TB along with rabies --and they are also know for loving to eat your cats and killing your dog if they can.-They will attack you--as I have been almost run down by a pack. If they run away I say relocate them WAAAAAAAY out in no mans land. f they stand their ground --put them down- I had them try to rip into my camping tent with me and my two cats inside. I do not like them anymore -ever no not ever..WE had cats killed by them I know what I say as true along with 28 chickens -and a couple of geese..I know of a lady police woman tht had one for a pet that snapped 3 of her finger off before she could get them away from it. Some pet. Wild animals when wrown are dangerous and they will always be WILD. My kitties had a riht to life along with the chicken-of which some were down right pets--Now they are all dead becasue of racoons-Racoons do not belong around people or their pets.By the way they climb and sleep in trees eat N baby birds- squirls N kittens"

kittengirl replies:  "Momekit, Also watch out for the coyotes. They are now in our area. They have migrated to all over the Southern U.S. and Florida. They eat cats, dogs, raccoons, chickens, ducks, and children. One cornered me in my yard while I was gardening one time, and was sneaking up on me silently with a demon-like grin on his face. I barely got in my house in time. They run in large packs and you and your pets or children DO NOT STAND A CHANCE of getting away from them unhurt if the pack attacks.Even if you are in a camping tent, that will be no protection from them. They are far more dangerous than raccoons, and carry rabies.They should all be removed from our area."

I'd like to think that kittengirl was exercising her sharp wit here, but I'm not convinced that's the case.  What's more, the paper carries a ranking system of sorts, and these are the highest "Recommend"ed comments on the page.

Of course, there are also interesting threads about the feral cat problem.  Freelens has the problem solved:  "I bet if people stop feeding the feral cat colonies there would be a lot more birds laying a lot more eggs that the racoons could be eating."

Sadly, it appears that the feral cats are actually zombies.  From imqwerty: "Google "Florida feral cat attacks" for more...
VOLUSIA COUNTY, Fla. — The Volusia County Health Department issued a rabies alert for 60 days Friday, following two unprovoked attacks on humans by feral cats within the past month.
In one case, a cat wandered into a house and attacked a woman inside. In the other, passing motorists who stop to aid a cat that had been hit by a car were attacked."

Elsewhere in the news, there is a community blog site.  rodrinck3 posts the following entry titled "Toe nail fungus": "A natural colon cleansing method is sure to make you healthier, boost your energy levels.Find how toe nail fungus treatment works.for more details go to genital warts"

Indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some HTML tags are accepted, SomeLink, bold and italic seem to be it.