Friday, July 30, 2010

My Toaster is Amazing

So here's a simple example that shows my continuing childlike wonder .... or something.

My toaster is amazing.  Not that there's anything special about my toaster - it's a 2-slice Toastmaster.  I expect I bought it some 15 years ago for $15 or less, and most likely at Walmart.  I suppose what I find amazing about it, aside from toasters being one of the most reliable devices you'll ever buy, is that I don't really know how they work.

Now, I generally understand the electricity makes heat part, but the "brownness" selector is something of a mystery.  I always assumed that this was tied to a variable resistor that affected some timer.  Not so.

I don't really care to go shopping.  You may wonder if my brain just skipped the tracks.  A reasonable assumption but bear with me:  Because I don't care to shop, I tend to avoid it.  This means that I tend to "stock up" when I do go shopping.  Long story short, this means I have lots of bread in my freezer.

One day I thought I'd defrost some bread by popping it into the toaster.  It may be uneven and a bit crisp on the edges, but I can deal with that - or so I thought.  It turns out that the toaster toasts my bread to perfection even when it's initially frozen solid.  Clearly, this toaster is a more complex device than I had imagined.


In an assuredly unrelated topic, turkey and cheese on frozen wheat bread - 3 stars; turkey and cheese on toasted wheat bread - 11 !

No comments:

Post a Comment

Some HTML tags are accepted, SomeLink, bold and italic seem to be it.